Friday, March 29, 2013

Windows Game Run in Linux Mint

Today I resolved to find a Windows game that I could install and run in Linux Mint.  A few days ago, I made a half-hearted attempt to install Playonlinux and install Windows Media Player on it so that I could see how it would run on the Linux Mint OS.  I kept getting errors that I didn't really understand or that I was too lazy to try to understand.

Finally, I achieved my goal this afternoon.  I found a 2007 Windows XP game called "Hoyle Puzzle & Board" that I played on my Toshiba or Dell around that time.  It still had the 2 discs that I had used to install the game years ago.  So this is what I did:

1.  Installed one of the discs on my HP Pavillion Netbook which has Windows 7 on it.  The installation went fine.  I executed the .EXE file using the Run Command at Startup.  The game was fine as expected because it's a Windows game albeit an earlier release 2 versions back.

2.  Tried running the game on Playonlinux using the Install button, going through the prompts.  However, the installation was interrupted by an error.  (See figure below.)
Playonlinux
The error was actually due to a missing file and directory that triggers an interruption in execution by the Wine program which is the back-end program for the Playonlinux front-end GUI.

When I installed Wine from Software Manager it was the not the latest version, which meant I needed to get an update for Wine to upgrade to Version 1.5.26.

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-wine/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo aptitude full-upgrade 
Then I also had to execute additional commands to:

-get a library package that contained the missing file,

wget https://raw.github.com/spaetzlecode/getlibs/master/getlibs
sudo chown root:root getlibs
sudo chmod +x getlibs
sudo mv -n getlibs /usr/bin
  
-install the library package,

sudo getlibs -p gnome-keyring:i386

-create the missing directory

sudo mkdir -p /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/pkcs11/ 

-and link the missing directory to the directory with the missing file that Wine keeps looking for.

sudo ln -s /usr/lib32/i386-linux-gnu/pkcs11/gnome-keyring-pkcs11.so 
           /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/pkcs11/gnome-keyring-pkcs11.so


The above commands need to be executed via the Terminal in order.

I cannot say with certainty whether what I executed will be the same fix for your situation.  It depends on your hardware.  I can only say what I experienced with the hardware I worked on which was a Toshiba Satellite 64-bit AMD.

These were the 3 pages that helped me understand the commands and the error I was getting from Ubuntu Forums as Ubuntu is the base behind Linux Mint.

p11-kit error Workaround WINE
wine-cant-find-gnome-keyring-pkcs11-so
aptitude versus apt-get

If you are a newbie, I highly suggest you have a techie looking over your shoulder while you work in Terminal mode because it could be a little bit overwhelming to do something you've never done before.  I swear it's like being dumped in a foreign country where you don't speak the language and trying to find your way through the city.  By the way, that's happened to me before FOR REAL!

Here are results of my labor: 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog