Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Linux on the Desktop is Expanding

Ubuntu To Become The Official OS Of China  http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2013/03/ubuntu-to-become-the-official-os-of-china

Now that Canonical is collaborating with China to make Ubuntu its official OS, it's only a matter of time when Linux on the desktop will become more mainstream.  I feel ahead of the curve that I am learning and using Linux now.  Don't you?

Let's see...I first started using a computer to access the Internet in 1996 for personal use.  It was a Packard Bell that I bought for cheap at Sam's Club.  I remember when my provider was Earthlink on dial-up.  Man!  We've come a long way since then.

Next, I got my first cell phone around 1999 or 2000.  Can't remember exactly when.  I thought it was cool then because I used to be on call for work using a pager.

Fast forward to October 2012, I finally get my first smartphone.  My LG Env Touch got worn out after 3 years and I was eligible for an upgrade by Verizon and my choice was a Samsung Stellar Android.  Did not realize that it was run on a Linux kernel.  Oooh and I've been using Linux since November 2011 after my brother loaded it on my old Dell Inspiron.

I'm glad he did that because to me, Linux has opened a world of unlimited possibilities for me to tinker with for FREE!!!  And I get to share this world with you all...

One more thing I want to add is Linux's albatross of lack of driver support and variety of hard core games is going to diminish as the Chinese market is penetrated with Ubuntu predominantly.  What WhoHa Biz Wiz is gonna ignore the Billion people market in China??!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog